Working together to strengthen and support noxious weed management efforts in Montana.

Restricted Pesticides

I am a private landowner and I’d like to be able to spray restricted herbicide. What is the process to become certified to do that?

Thursday, April 18th, 2013


To obtain a private applicator license, you must contact your local county extension agent as they administer private applicator licensing program. A private applicator license allows private landowners to purchase and apply restricted-use pesticides. You will need to complete a specialized training and pass an  applicator test.   A fee is charged for your license.   Licenses are renewed on a five-year cycle based on your location in Montana.

Montana State University maintains a website with information about the program.   MWCA puts classes for both private and commercial applicators on our Events Calendar Page on our website.