Working together to strengthen and support noxious weed management efforts in Montana.


What is sprayer calibration and why do I need to calibrate my sprayer?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


The objective of calibration is the same no matter what kind of sprayer you are using, to apply the correct amount of chemical to do the job.  All pesticide labels tell you how much you should be applying.  If you apply too much chemical you may impact other plants and resources that you do not want to.  If you apply too little chemical you may not get the results you want.

MWCA has a web page with videos and reference materials to help demystify calibration.

What chemical do I use for my noxious weeds?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


Again, because of the variety of herbicide available, differing soil conditions, and because of a variety of environmental conditions, it is best that you contact your weed professional(s) to properly assess your weeds and identify the best options for your specific environment.

I don’t want to use chemicals, what are my options?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


There is no silver bullet in weed management, and integrated control measures are the best bet. There are many options available for noxious weed control, but not all options work for every invasive. Please refer to integrated weed management for more specific recommendations.

How do I identify which plants are actually noxious weeds on my property?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


Many publications are available for weed ID including Weeds of the Prairies, Weeds of the West, many publications through Montana State University, and several websites. However, if you don’t want to go that route, you can contact a local weed professional to walk through your property with you or you can take samples of the plants and have them identified at Montana State University.

Guidelines for Submitting Plant Specimens for ID (PDF)
Plant ID Contacts (PDF)
Plant Identification Form (PDF)

I don’t want to spray my weeds, who can I call to do it for me?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


Most local weed coordinators, either in your county or in surrounding counties can direct you to commercial applicators in your area.

My neighbors don’t take care of their weeds, what can I do?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


The best first step  is try to offer your neighbor a form of education concerning noxious weeds or engage them in forming a weed management area.  If that does not work you may want to contact your county weed coordinator.   Enforcement of the county week act is unique to each county.

There are weeds on the public lands bordering my property, what is the best way to address this?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


State agencies are required to file weed management plans with their local county weed districts, while federal agencies are not required to file plans. Many of these agencies, however, do work closely with many weed districts in developing their plans. The first step may be to contact your local county weed district and you may also want to contact the agency personnel in charge of that property listed on this website. They can inform you of the correct channels to issue a complaint or address your concerns for the property in question.

I am a recreationist, how can I best prevent the spread of weeds?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


By being aware of how weeds can be spread and take precautions to prevent further spread. It is also very beneficial for recreationists to be able to identify noxious weeds and report infestations to their local weed professionals.

I am interested in purchasing property, but I don’t want to buy a weed problem, what should I do – and isn’t my realtor obligated to tell me about noxious weeds?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


The first step in defense of buying infested property is educating yourself on the types of noxious weeds that are present in the area (refer to question #4). Ethically, your realtor should inform you of the weed problem, if any, present on the property. There is a clause in most buy-sell agreements addressing this issue. If you have knowledge of the noxious weed infestations present on the property, you have the power to negotiate a better deal. Dealing with a severe noxious weed infestation can cause a drop in property value and take many years and large amounts of money to get under control. While looking over potential properties, it does not hurt to see the weed situation of surrounding properties as well.

Why doesn’t my county enforce the weed law?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


While many counties in Montana are actively upholding the county weed act, several have decided they will not enforce this act due to time, financial, or staffing shortages. And even if you believe your county doesn’t pursue enforcement, you may not have the entire story. It is a common misperception that counties can enforce every problem that arises; when in fact, it is a financial burden for a county to enforce the county weed act. While this act is a law, there is no funding from the state to enforce the law for the counties. If a county does enforce the law, they have to budget for it. When a county completes an enforcement, it is at the expense of the taxpayers of the county. The county sprays the property and bills the landowner. If the landowner does not pay the bill, it eventually goes on his taxes, a process that can take up to two years and leaves the county with the expense until the taxes are paid. If your county does not enforce the weed act, and you file a complaint with them, they are in violation of the law by not acting on that complaint.