Working together to strengthen and support noxious weed management efforts in Montana.


What it would take to be a certified noxious weed sprayer in MT?

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013


There is no single answer to your question since it is dependent on a number of different factors. First, determine the type of license(s) that you’ll need: Commercial, Governmental, Public Utility, Non-Commercial, Dealer and/or Private. Next, determine the type of site(s) where the pesticides will be used: Agricultural Plants, Forest, Turf Grass, Right of Ways or Rangeland, etc. There is a lot of information available on our website, just type in into your browser to be redirected to the Department of Agriculture’s pesticide program pages.

Are there grants available to help treat noxious weeds?

Thursday, April 18th, 2013


There are several sources available to treat noxious weeds, but rarely to one landowner. If a weed management area is formed with several landowners, the chance of receiving grant funds increases. The MT Department of Ag’s Noxious Weed Trust Fund is one avenue to pursue grants, the deadline is usually the first of December and forms can be found online. On a larger scale, the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation offers grants, and Department of Natural Resource Conservation and local conservation districts also offer grant funds. You can check with your local conservation district office to inquire about possible funding. Currently NRCS is also providing grant funding through special initiative funds called EQUIP. Several other Montana organizations offer grants including PPL and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.   Again, when a cooperative weed management area (CWMA) is formed and organized well, there are several avenues of funding available. Please check out our grant opportunity postings on the MWCA Classified  Web Page where we put all opportunities that we become aware of.

I am a private landowner and I’d like to be able to spray restricted herbicide. What is the process to become certified to do that?

Thursday, April 18th, 2013


To obtain a private applicator license, you must contact your local county extension agent as they administer private applicator licensing program. A private applicator license allows private landowners to purchase and apply restricted-use pesticides. You will need to complete a specialized training and pass an  applicator test.   A fee is charged for your license.   Licenses are renewed on a five-year cycle based on your location in Montana.

Montana State University maintains a website with information about the program.   MWCA puts classes for both private and commercial applicators on our Events Calendar Page on our website.

How do I Winterize my Equipment and Protect my Chemicals?

Monday, November 5th, 2012


Here are some great publications to help you prepare for winter

Montana State University Integrated Pest Management program’s bulletin about winterizing your equipment and cold storage of chemicals.  Download the MSU bulletin.

Where Can I Find Out More Information about the MWCA?

Thursday, May 3rd, 2012


Most information about  the MWCA can be found on the About page.

There you will find information about:

  • Board of Directors
  • Committees
  • Work Groups
  • Bylaws
  • Policies
  • Tax Returns, also called 990
  • Our History

Recommend Books

Thursday, May 3rd, 2012


There are lots of books, pamphlets and other resources out there here are some of our favorites.

  • “Common Native & Invasive Wetland Plants in Montana”, July 2010 by MT DEQ Wetland Program, authors Carpenedo & Saul – FREE
  • For Western Montanans: “Non-native Invasive plants of the Pacific Coast Forests”, a field guide for identification, authors Gray, Barndt & Reichard  – FREE To download the guide visit or order a hard copy by sending an e-mail to Ask for PNW-GTR-817.
  • While not a weed ID book, it is a great resource for natives and revegetation: “Roadside Revegetation, Utilizing Native Species in the Western United States. 2010 version and authors are Winston and Schwarzlander – FREE
  • For Eastern Montanans: “Weeds of the Great Plains” produced by the Nebraska Dept of Ag – $25 (hardback)“Weeds of the West” 9th edition, 2006, Author Tom Whitson – $32 (with shipping)
  • “Weeds of the Prairies” Government of Alberta, Ag & Rural Development – $25$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex39

Learn About Calibration for Using Herbicides

Thursday, August 19th, 2010


One of the most important things that can be done when using herbicides is making sure you are spraying the right plant and you are using the right amount of herbicide.  Learning how to use the right amount of herbicide is called calibration.

There are many ways a person can learn about calibration.

  • Contact your local weed coordinator or extension agent.
  • Attend a Private Applicator’s Class in your area.
  • Use a combination of print and video materials available.

The following are some of the print materials available.  We have provided links or you may contact your extension agent.

MWCA helped to underwrite this short video that demonstrates calibration of equipment.  We have broken it down in to 6 steps.

Chapter 1 Importance of Calibration

Chapter 2 Equipment & Pre-Calibration Check

Chapter 3 Understanding Calibration

Chapter 4 Calibrating Backpack Sprayer and Handline

Chapter 5 Calibrating Using the Strip Method

Chapter 6 Adding Pesticide to Your Tank

MSU Extension also has a DVD available for purchase on their website. There is also information on the MSU Webpage on Calibration.

Are noxious weeds ranked or prioritized?

Monday, May 17th, 2010


In 2010 the Montana Department of Agriculture revamped the noxious weed priority system.   Noxious weeds are now rank one of 5 priorities.

Priority 1A – These weeds are not present in Montana.  Management criteria will require eradication of detected; education and prevention.

Priority 1B – These weeds are have limited presence in Montana.  Management criteria will require eradication or containment and education.

Priority 2A – These weeds are common in isolated areas of Montana.   Management criteria will required eradication or containment where less abundant.  Management shall be prioritized by local weed districts.

Priority 2B – These weeds are abundant in Montana and widespread in many counties.   Management criteria will require eradication or containment where less abundant.  Management shall be prioritized by local weed districts.

Priority 3 – Regulated Plants – NOT Montana Listed Noxious Weeds.  These regulated plants have the potential to have significant negative impacts.  These plants may not be intentionally spread or sold other than as a contaminant in agricultural products.  the state recommends research, education and prevention to minimize the spread of the regulated plant.

Download a copy of the current priority list of Montana Noxious Weeds.

Does the Montana Weed Control Association have a specialty plate?

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009


In 2005, the MWCA, through initiative by board member Kim Goodwin, contracted with Fossil Creative out of Kalispell to design a specialty plate and the Association was extremely fortunate to obtain such an appealing design. The MWCA specialty plate portrays a cowboy on a horse with cattle and mountains in the background, and it remains one of the top fifteen selling plates in Montana today. Special edition prints of this design are also available through Fossil Creative. If you are looking for a special plate, we encourage you to support our cause and not only help in the war on weeds, but purchase a unique and very “Montana” license plate.

How much chemical do I use for my sprayer?

Friday, October 23rd, 2009


Because soil and environmental conditions vary greatly across Montana, and all sprayers distribute spray at different rates, generic recommendations cannot be made. Please contact your local county weed professionals to obtain the best recommendations for your specific plants and conditions.